Why most overweight people quit the gym?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
Share |
  1. #1 Why most overweight people quit the gym? 
    i Fail
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    75
    Do you think it is the so-called intimidation factor that they fear everybody is looking at them or it is the willing power to work hard for their goals both in terms of exercise and nutrition?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Irish Kin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,892
    My Mood
    PatBizzle
    Maybe they don't fit in their cars anymore?

    Or if they're too lazy to go to the gym they can eat celery. You lose calories doing this.
    Once upon a time.... Pat likes men, and they lived happily ever after. The end.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Full Member Constantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New England
    Age
    31
    Posts
    222
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    It's because just going to the gym isn't nearly enough. It's pretty obvious that people are poorly educated on how to take care of themselves. People who quit the gym probably go for a week, see little to no results and figure it's a waste of time.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon White, STALKER: Call of Pripyat, Warriors Orochi 2, Phantasy Star Universe Portable 2

    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Moderator LuFeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach South Carolina *Shaolin Temple*
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,833
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by GWMonk View Post
    Do you think it is the so-called intimidation factor that they fear everybody is looking at them or it is the willing power to work hard for their goals both in terms of exercise and nutrition?

    most overweight people quit the gym because in america we have gotten so use to haveing everything NOW that we sometimes forget or dont realize it takes time and work to achieve some things....this is my opinion only but i feel it affects more than just overweight people...same goes for people on welfare etc....people get use to being a certain way and dont want to work hard to get out of a situation or better, or skinny and fit.....just how life and society is now.
    My Blu Ray Collection-
    http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...?member=LuFeng
    (Click on OVERVIEW once on page to break movies down into categories)


    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Banned OME6A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    MIDDLETOWN, PA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,946
    Quote Originally Posted by LuFeng View Post
    most overweight people quit the gym because in america we have gotten so use to haveing everything NOW that we sometimes forget or dont realize it takes time and work to achieve some things
    Fully and completely agreed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Admin
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,744
    My Mood
    Tired
    Because the Internet / Video Games take up too much time as is & make us lazy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member hcky21rskor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Might as well be Canada
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    It's because just going to the gym isn't nearly enough. It's pretty obvious that people are poorly educated on how to take care of themselves. People who quit the gym probably go for a week, see little to no results and figure it's a waste of time.
    This.

    Losing weight doesn't just mean going to the gym for endless hours and killing yourself on whatever cardio machine you chose, in fact most of your losing of the weight will come from outside of the gym.

    A person's diet is what is going to be the make it or break it factor in anyone's diet. America now-a-days is all about bigger and better. We pack our foods full of sugars and fats to make them taste better, and to make it worse we make them as big as possible...


    Avalanche are CHOKEE.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Full Member Constantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New England
    Age
    31
    Posts
    222
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    As someone on that hard path to better health, I can tell you that a diet has a much bigger effect much quicker than just exercising. If I had to give advice to those looking to lose weight, start with the diet first. It requires the most willpower and getting used to.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon White, STALKER: Call of Pripyat, Warriors Orochi 2, Phantasy Star Universe Portable 2

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,892
    Working out is the easy part, it's just getting your ass to the gym which is hard. Really though, it's all about the diet. When you eat right you just feel that much better, and getting motivated to work out isn't as much of challenge. I'm a big guy, and the rest of my family is big. I hate going home from college because my family eats like complete shit and big portions. When I was on Spring Break last week and had my surgery, it was the first time I've had pop since Halloween and fast food more than once in a week. I tried telling my mom and dad this, and my mom flipped the fuck out on me. Basically she thought I was insulting her cooking and just her personally which is totally misreading the situation. Maybe one day they'll listen to me, but for now fuck that idea. I'm focusing on myself because you can't change everybody.
    I have been trying to lose weight since like November and I've lost like 20 pounds. It's been kind of hard because around December I quit lifting because my shoulder just went to hell, but I had surgery on that and plan on getting back to lifting by the start of May. All I really did was run a little, but I have not followed through on that well being Winter. Mainly because in my college town they didn't shovel the streets for shit.
    Basically what I want to say is it is fucking harder than hell to lose weight when you've been one way for so long. Cut overweight people some slack because it sucks ass and most of them already realize their situation. If you know someone who is trying to lose weight, give them all the encouragement you can because that's what helps in the long run.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Admin
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,744
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Working out is the easy part, it's just getting your ass to the gym which is hard. Really though, it's all about the diet. When you eat right you just feel that much better, and getting motivated to work out isn't as much of challenge. I'm a big guy, and the rest of my family is big. I hate going home from college because my family eats like complete shit and big portions. When I was on Spring Break last week and had my surgery, it was the first time I've had pop since Halloween and fast food more than once in a week. I tried telling my mom and dad this, and my mom flipped the fuck out on me. Basically she thought I was insulting her cooking and just her personally which is totally misreading the situation. Maybe one day they'll listen to me, but for now fuck that idea. I'm focusing on myself because you can't change everybody.
    I have been trying to lose weight since like November and I've lost like 20 pounds. It's been kind of hard because around December I quit lifting because my shoulder just went to hell, but I had surgery on that and plan on getting back to lifting by the start of May. All I really did was run a little, but I have not followed through on that well being Winter. Mainly because in my college town they didn't shovel the streets for shit.
    Basically what I want to say is it is fucking harder than hell to lose weight when you've been one way for so long. Cut overweight people some slack because it sucks ass and most of them already realize their situation. If you know someone who is trying to lose weight, give them all the encouragement you can because that's what helps in the long run.
    Good points. Very true about the 'what you eat' part. The fast food have those additives / preservatives that give you a quick high but than you feel hungry again pretty soon after.

    Good home cooking food with spices & fresh food make you feel good all over for a much longer time and reduce the urge to eat again for awhile as well.. Nobody ever talks about this aspect when writing news articles about "why are Americans soo overweight?".

    When you eat good, you have more energy & are more motivated like Slasher said.

    Even most of the processed / frozen food in super markets is junk too. Except that organic stuff like Amy's or Helen's Kitchen , etc.. Its more expensive but somewhat its better for ya.
    Last edited by veins; 03-20-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    Full Member Constantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New England
    Age
    31
    Posts
    222
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    You don't need to buy organic, it's just as much a marketing scheme as fad diets. Organic is nice, but not necessary. It's over-hyped. Eating healthy is quite simple, the willpower is difficult. Just cook up some lighter meats like chicken or turkey, add some spices and throw in a vegetable and you have a perfectly healthy meal.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon White, STALKER: Call of Pripyat, Warriors Orochi 2, Phantasy Star Universe Portable 2

    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    Senior Member Jimdalf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,746
    My Mood
    Twisted
    I think people plan too much when trying to lose weight. Plans never work. They are the first step on the road to failure.

    I was a fair bit overweight when I was a teenager, and would make plans which universally failed. Then one day my cousin appeared, told me to put on my shoes and go for a run with him. So I did, and I had to stop three times in the space of two miles because I was out of breath. The next day me body hurt like hell. If I had planned on this sort of thing, that would have been the end of it. But I had no plan, and when my cousin appeared again two nights after the first run, off I went again. It just sort of happened and kept happening.

    I think people doing serious exercise for the first time also miss out on a lot of what makes it enjoyable. They get the satisfaction of the exercise, but otherwise get bullied and cajoled in a controlled environment. They don't get the things which make it worth the effort... screaming down a treacherous path in the middle of a forest miles from anywhere or anyone and getting scared shitless on pitch-black nights down isolated country roads, that does it for me.

    And the secondary benefits are lacking too. Just talking about exercise is great- I bore the shit out of people all the time with it. A good deal of the satisfaction of running twenty miles is telling people about it the next day. When you are stumbling a few hundred metres and stuggling to do a few press-ups, you'll feel the opposite of satisfaction if you talk about it to most people. And being fit in general- springing about the place and just plain doing anything that comes your way with no effort at all, that takes a while to develop.

    Now back to the real topic... it doesn't take hardcore exercise to lose weight. Walking will do it. I know a fella who is literally half the size he was a year ago, and its mostly down to walking. Pretty ridiculous distances- he did ninety miles one week. But even a whole lot less walking can have massive benefits. A reasonable diet and a couple dozen miles walking will see a lot of people virtually dissolve over a few months.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    Full Member xxTheDoctorxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Strong Island
    Posts
    103
    Two Reasons: Rationalization and Realization.

    People tend to rationalize the way they do things. If I do one thing I should reward myself. For example, the NYTimes recently took a poll and discovered that after people workout, they decide to reward themselves with junk food. For example, "Oh, I worked out for, like, 2 hours today, I did the treadmill and then free weights...I can now go to McDonald's!" As a result, people who lived on this logic gained on average only 5 pounds over a 6 month span. We think we can rationalize exercise and working out when, in fact, it is a stern discipline that unfortunately our society does not have anymore.

    Also, People eventually come to the realization that this is very hard work. The first thing you do as a trainer with a new client (I was one briefly for NYSC), who is even mildly overweight, is to educate them on the process. For example, after the first two weeks of working out, the person will do either one things: gain weight a little bit of weight or lose alot of weight (All diets and regimens being equal amongst participants). Reason being is that people will sometimes build more muscle than lose fat because of what their body chemistry is OR lose a ton of weight because its water weight. So, the objective is to educate to bring them the realization of what is going to happen throughout the process.

    -Matt
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    Senior Member Focus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ..New England
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,887
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by xxTheDoctorxx View Post
    Two Reasons: Rationalization and Realization.

    People tend to rationalize the way they do things. If I do one thing I should reward myself. For example, the NYTimes recently took a poll and discovered that after people workout, they decide to reward themselves with junk food. For example, "Oh, I worked out for, like, 2 hours today, I did the treadmill and then free weights...I can now go to McDonald's!" As a result, people who lived on this logic gained on average only 5 pounds over a 6 month span. We think we can rationalize exercise and working out when, in fact, it is a stern discipline that unfortunately our society does not have anymore.
    You beat me to it on that one!
    Can't tell you how many times I've heard "oh, I worked out today I can eat this" and they run over to McDonalds and get a big mac big fry XL coke etc..or run home eat dinner and make a huge ass bowl of ice cream with fudge and everything..even though they went on an elliptical for 20 mins and probably got their heart rate to like 120 bpm max lol. It's really everything that adds up, that makes someone quit..the feeling like they can reward themselves after a "workout", not having the knowledge of what to do/what to eat, what's going to happen, etc, quitting because they don't see results right away, and just plain being lazy and not wanting to put in the work to get the results. It probably doesn't help that you have these piles of shits for gyms like Planet Fitness..good luck getting actually helpful, and I mean helpful tips/knowledge there. They care about one thing, and one thing only..and that's $$$$. I'm SO glad I cancelled my membership to there and switched to a much, much, MUCH better gym.

    Also the first 1-2 weeks of working out and dieting is the hardest..just take a look at how much change your body is going through. No way you will adjust to that in a day. All these overweight people are used to eating McGriddles for breakfast and hashbrowns with 5 pancakes, 2 bigmacs and 2 XL fries for lunch, and whatever for dinner PLUS dessert. Try going from that to having actual healthy and portioned food, on top of working out. Once you get past the first 2 weeks or so you'll be fine as long as you WANT to do it..but most everyone overweight is lazy so good luck.

    I recently switched up my food intake and workouts..don't really weightlift anymoret(to build muscle), I do all cardio and circuit style training for different body groups. Been doing a circuit of combo squats/shoulder press with weights, 30 sec+ planks, combo back step lunge/row, and combo pushup/ab tuck with a medicine ball..3 sets of each. Now I have 2 more different types of circuits to do, plus the first one I can mix in anytime. Reduced my body fat percentage from 13.2 to 12.8 in about 3 weeks to a month ..not as much as I hoped for, but according to my trainer had I done 100% cardio I would've dropped a lot more, but since I'm working on core exercises and toning up a bit it slows it down. Just gives me even more motivation for the coming weeks/months, especially knowing how much I cheated LOL. My girlfriend's stepmom practically forces me to eat her banana nut bread, ice cream, strawberry shortcake, etc...can't really turn her down and make her feel bad since she goes out of her way to make those things just for me haha.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    Supervisor Go Pre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Long Island
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,065
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Kin View Post

    Or if they're too lazy to go to the gym they can eat celery. You lose calories doing this.
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food. I read this a while ago...

    There Are No Negative-Calorie Foods - Debunking 10 Myths About Dieting - TIME
    Classic.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users creepin this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Are you overweight?
    By Jimdalf in forum Polls
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 05:54 PM
  2. Should I Quit??
    By Tom-Foolery in forum Older Threads
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 10:10 PM
  3. Overweight
    By Capper619 in forum Older Threads
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 10:32 AM
  4. i quit
    By godisme in forum Older Threads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 10:08 PM
  5. I didn't quit s-2
    By Kinggames in forum Older Threads
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Why most overweight people quit the gym?